Today I am excited to finally start sharing with you all the gifts I made for this past Christmas. I think it is fun to do a post like this, not only to share sewing details, but also to perhaps inspire ideas for handmade gifts. If you want even more inspiration you can read my Handmade Christmas Gifts 2016 post! I am finding there are A LOT of details to share, so I have decided to break it up into a PART 1 and PART 2 so that the posts are not overwhelmingly long. Today I will focus of the gifts I made using my own fabric designs, since that always adds an extra layer of information.
It is a tough business sewing for Christmas: deadline looming, personal projects get delayed or on hold, and you have to keep a lot of secrets! (really tough for me when I am excited about a make). Learning a lesson from past years, I started REALLY EARLY this year and yet, somehow STILL found myself down to the wire. In my defense, I added a few gifts not originally planned AND lost some sewing time I expected to have. So I was still sewing on Dec. 23!!! But I got it all done and everything was well received!
NAPKINS AND TRIVETS
First up is a set of cloth napkins and matching trivets I made with one of my own fabric designs: Picnic (Sunny). This is actually the newest colorway for this design and I created it specifically with this project in mind. I chose this print because I think it is a modern take on both plaid and check and perfect for a kitchen. The colors were picked to match the recipients’ dinnerware. I really love how this palette turned out and might need to look into offering all the designs in the Flutter Collection in this new colorway. I ordered 1 yard printed on Spoonflower’s organic cotton sateen.
Since this print has a natural cutting point built in, I let the white space breaks in the pattern squares determine my size options for the napkins. Ultimately I decided to make 8 out of the yard I had. They turned out a little small… but not unusable, just smaller than you would expect. (Perhaps I could have made a smaller hem). This was my first time sewing mitered corners. 32 mitered corners! Yeah. That got old pretty quick. I found this tutorial from Colette very helpful. I did the sewn and topstitched version. Below is a zoomed in look at the corners as well as a “styled” photo with silverware.
I had a good sized strip of fabric leftover so I decided to make a few trivets to go along with the set. I went with a slight rectangle instead of square for two reasons: 1. I thought they would be a bit more practical for oblong and rectangle serving dishes and 2. The fabric shrunk more in one direction than the other, so even if I cut it an equal number of design pattern squares wide and long they would not be square. (In fact the napkins are not exact squares for this very reason.) I backed the trivets in a light yellow quilting cotton.
These are created from the FREE pattern for the Blizzard Bonnet by sweetkm. It didn’t take long after seeing this project to know that I wanted to make them for my niece and nephew. They are both 2 1/2 yrs old, born just 3 weeks apart. It is hard to resist making them something matching and I thought this little hat was so adorable! Like a little Gnome hat. In hindsight, maybe I should not have gotten caught up in the cuteness so much, as I am not sure how much they will actually wear these. (Although my niece did request to wear it at a birthday celebration! Ha Ha Ha! It is a party hat!)
They were surprisingly fun to sew up. Even the bias binding, which I usually loathe, sewed up so well! I think because it is sewn twice, instead of just sandwiching over it the edge, which made it “ok” to miss the back side edge in places as it was already sewn down. I actually changed the sewing of the bias tape from the directions. I first sewed it to the INSIDE of the hat and then flipped it to the outside. And I edge stitched on the front instead of stitching in the ditch. Aside from that, the only other change I made was to lengthen the ties. I do want to note that SIZING was a conundrum for me. The toddler size, which is what I consider a 2 1/2 year old to be, look super small to me. (I sewed up a quick tester with a scrap of fleece.) I ended up making the small child size and it is perfect. (My mom did do a stealth head measure of my niece for me.)
I used my own fabric design for this project as well. I actually created a brand new design: Checkered Christmas, to coordinate with my Classic Christmas Collection. I ordered 1 fat quarter of both the Festive and Merry colorways on the Lightweight Cotton Twill. After getting my fat quarters I decided to tweak design a little, so the designs as listed are slightly different than what can be seen on the hats (Same overall look and colors, just in different places). I used white fleece to line them and Jungle Green bias tape (by Wrights) for all the finishing (That color is a very good match to this print). Even in the second largest size, thanks to wider width of the fabric, I have a lot of this twill leftover for a future project.
I am ending with two ADORABLE photos of my nephew and niece “modelling” their hats! Shout out to my brother-in-law Jacob (of The Traveling Photo Booth) for taking these great photos and to my sister Deanna (of DLynn Design) for using her AMAZING Photoshop skills to crop out all the Christmas chaos in these photos!
If I left out a detail you would like to know about please ask in the comments! And stay tuned for PART 2!!!
Thanks for reading,
2 thoughts on “Handmade Christmas Gifts 2017: PART 1”